Wednesday 30 July 2014

Year-Long Closet Shopping List: July

I canNOT believe it's already the end of July. Where did summer go?!?! I feel like I'm only now recovering from last year's long winter and another one is already creeping up on us. Fortunately I'm stocking my closet with goodies to last me through the year ;)

As a quick refresher, this year I outlined my clothing budget to add closet basics to my wardrobe each month, putting together a list of items I need to help fill in the holes in my closet and assigning each item to a particular month of the year. I've capped each month's budget at $200 total. Here's what my calendar looks like:


Year-long Closet Budget


And here's a closeup/breakdown of this month's purchases!




Year-Long Shopping List: July Purchases

Price: $13 each
Notes: yes, I do realize these are maternity tanks, but after falling in love with the striped version last month, I had to stock up on more! They are so, so soft and longer than your average tank, which is good for my long torso. They're stretchy (presumably to account for a growing belly) but are otherwise the exact same as a normal tank--they don't have extra ruching or material in the midsection like many maternity tanks do. Get some!

Price: $7 a  thrift store (originally $25)
Notes: I recently discovered the store Uptown Cheapskate, which is basically like a thrift store that does not accept garbage. All the clothes are on the stylish end of things, with no holes/stains etc. I've been on the hunt for cute rolled-cuff shorts, and these do the trick!

Price: $96 (originally $140)
Notes: I shopped the Nordstrom Anniversary sale for the first time ever! To be honest they don't look too impressive online or even in the store, and I wouldn't have tried them on except the store worker pulled the wrong bootie for me--a happy accident! These are super comfortable and cuter on than I would imagine. They cut me right below the slimmest part of my ankle, elongating my leg. I can't wait to wear them all fall!

Price: $65 (originally $90)
Notes: Another Anniversary Sale purchase, I first spotted these online and have been lusting after them for months. I tried them on in black (the leopard print was out of stock in-store so they're shipping to me, can't wait!) and they are so, so flattering on the foot. All the reviews say they're really comfortable too, so hopefully I can start rockin' some spots at work!

July Budget Total:
$194 for $281 worth of items (30.3% savings)
Over/under on June $200 budget: -$6
Over/under for the year since March: -$586.96 


EDIT 8/17/14:
Turns out that after trying out each of the shoes with items in my closet, I decided I didn't love them, so I returned them. In their place, I bought:

Price: $19 (MSRP $89)
Notes: I found these pants at my local Uptown Cheapskate store for $19 total--over 75% off! I tracked them down online and saw that 320 reviews gave an average of 5 stars, which about summarizes how I feel about them too! If they had other colors available online right now I'd buy them full-price, that's how much I love them :) They are very slimming and hold their shape well; I've worn them probably 4 times now without washing them and they've held their shape!

Francesca's Chambray Buttonup (not avail. online, similar here)
Price: $30 (regular price: $38)
Notes: For many months now, I've been hunting for a chambray button-up that's thin enough to tuck into skirts and wear under sweaters. Chambray is not a particularly forgiving/stretchy fabric, and apparently I have wider than average shoulders, because every. single. top. I've tried on has been too tight in the shoulders. Finally I found the perfect top at Francesca's while they were having a 25% off sale! 

July Budget Total:
$82 for $178 worth of items (54% savings)
Over/under for July budget: -$118
Over/under for the year since March: -698.96
Total spent since March: $321


Other Purchases in July:
Might as well use this post to review non-year-long-shopping-list purchases! Here are a few other items I snagged this month:

G.I. Jane Bullet and Rhinestone Earrings from Etsy shop Prairie Oats
Price: $38
Notes: I bought these to wear with my bridesmaid's dress for my friend's lakeside wedding in Quebec. I purchased them on July 4th, but even with it being a holiday I received an Etsy message from the seller the same night confirming that she'd ship the next day (a Saturday!). Excellent customer service. When I got the package, it was so beautiful I didn't want to open it! But I'm glad I did, because the earrings were even more beautiful in person than online--I literally gasped when I saw them. I highly recommend this shop!

Anthropologie Edie Swing Tee (not pictured)
Price: $31 (was $68) (bought and returned)
Notes: I'm normally size small/medium in tops, but this runs boxy and stretchy so I bought an extra-small and it's perfect! The fabric is really amazing and I hated to return it, but ultimately it didn't really fill any holes in my closet, so I returned it and spent money on shoes instead ;)

Yarok Feed your Roots Mousse (not pictured)
Price: $15 for sample size
Notes: As I've been growing my hair out, I've been looking for a natural product to give my longer locks a little oomph and protect them from my heat styling (blow dryer and curling wand). This does an OK job, but I haven't really been wowed by it and probably won't buy the full size.



No comments:

Post a Comment