Tuesday 25 November 2014

Year-Long Clothing Budget Update: November Purchases

It's year-long budget recap time again! As a quick refresher, this year I outlined my clothing budget to add closet basics to my wardrobe each month, putting together a list of items I need to help fill in the holes in my closet and assigning each item to a particular month of the year. I've capped each month's budget at $200 total. Here's what my calendar looks like:

Year-long Closet Budget


And here are my additions from November:

November purchases



This month I was slated to purchase a black leather jacket, but my beloved black leather boots and a cheap polyester work shirt both died this month, so replacing them trumped purchasing a leather jacket. I've been clearing out my closets in anticipation of my move and have been able to sell some items as a consignment shop, so I was actually able to replace my boots and shirt using credit from the consignment shop!

Also, as I explained here, I had bought some cute booties that ended up breaking, so I returned them for store credit at Aldo. I used my credit to stock up on cozy items and a comfortable pair of flats, plus I scooped up some great leggings to get me through my next surgery recovery :)

Here's the pricing breakdown:

Equipment 100% silk Brett shirt:
Price: $208 retail, $10 at Uptown Cheapskate (consignment store), free to me on credit
Notes: I would never, ever, ever buy this shirt for retail price...but I have to admit, it's pretty luxurious. 100% silk feels so great on the skin and has great flow on the body! I think I'll get a lot of use out of this top. Downside: it's dry clean-only, although I've found some online tutorials for hand washing.

Born Black Leather Boots 
Retail: $200, $30 at Uptown Cheapskate, free to me on credit
Notes: I don't own the exact pair shown here, but mine are pretty close to this. Again, I wouldn't pay full price for these boots but I would definitely pay the $120 price at 6pm.com. The boots I have are such soft leather and very comfortable, which I have found to be true for pretty much every pair of shoes I've tried on from this brand.

November Budget Breakdown:
$40 (in credit for items I sold) for $408 worth of items (98% savings!!!)
Over/under for November budget: -$160
Over/under for year since March: -$1102
Total spent since March: $678

Additional November purchases: 

Bench Baddah leggings: 
Price: $69 retail, $40
Notes: I picked these up from 6pm.com on sale because I will basically be living in leggings for about a month after my next hip surgery (I'm not going to be returning to work after surgery and my next job doesn't start until mid-January, so I have about a month of leisure/recovery ahead of me :). Pros: they're super comfortable (no muffin top thanks to the higher waistband!), flattering, and opaque.
Cons: the fabric isn't suited for hot yoga, although I think it would be fine for non-heated athletic activities.

Aldo Memoli loafers:
Price: $60 (bought with credit)
Notes: Ever since I had my first hip surgery, high heels and I have not been on the best of terms so I've been hunting down cute, comfortable, work-appropriate flats. I had some credit I needed to spend that day, a sort of use-it-or-lose-it scenario (side note--does anyone else have a horrible experience every time they shop at Aldo? They're seriously the worst! I've experienced rude salespeople, strange return policies, not being able to use gift cards online, etc. I still have a $60 gift card from the return of my booties that I need to spend, and I'm just dreading going back! Ugh. #firstworldproblems).
Pros: They have an elastic back, which I typically find very comfortable, and come in three cute colors: plain black, leopard, and this black and white pattern that's bold enough to be interesting but neutral enough to mix well in my closet.
Cons: I wore them today and they actually did rub a bit painfully on my heels, but hopefully they break in nicely.

Aldo stocking hat:
Price: $12 retail, on sale for $8 (bought with credit from my broken booties)
Notes: This hat is surprisingly warm and flattering; no complaints here!

Aldo 3-pack of socks:
Price: $10, on sale for $5 (bought with redit)
Notes: To be honest, I wouldn't have bought these (or the pair of black tights I also got, not pictured), except for the fact that due to some weird exchange/credit glitch at Aldo I ended up with an extra $25 in credit that had to be used that day. But they're nice enough and you know I'm not going to turn down a little extra leopard print in my life ;)

How are you all prepping for the winter?

Other posts in this series:
Year-Long Clothing Budget Update: October Purchases
Year-Long Clothing Budget Update: August and September Purchases
Year-Long Clothing Budget Update: July Purchases
Year-Long Clothing Budget Update: June Purchases
Year-long Clothing Budget Update: May Purchases and a Weekly Wishlist!
Year-long Clothing Budget Update: April Purchases
Year-long Clothing Budget Update: March Purchases
Building a Wardrobe: Conclusions and My New Budget Plan 

No comments:

Post a Comment